Cockroaches are a pest that many people in the Brooklyn area have to deal with, especially those who live in apartments or condos. Still, cockroaches can also easily spread to single-family dwellings.
While cockroaches all share similar characteristics, there are many different species of cockroaches. In Brooklyn, there are three main kinds of cockroach you're likely to encounter. These are:
- American cockroach: This species is probably the one that comes to mind when you imagine a cockroach. They are reddish-brown and can get up to three inches long, making them the largest species in the area.
- German cockroach: The German cockroach is a much smaller species that ranges from tan to dark brown. They have two dark stripes that run parallel behind their heads.
- Oriental cockroach: These cockroaches are a shiny black color and have a ribbed body. They are commonly known as black beetles since they can look like a beetle at first glance.
These notoriously hated New York City pests might be really annoying to deal with, but they are more than just a nuisance. They are extremely unsanitary and considered dangerous because of their ability to spread diseases that harm humans.
Because of the many illnesses, including serious ones such as salmonella and E. Coli, that cockroaches can spread, it's important to take steps to keep them from getting into your home or property. Prevention can go a long way and is much easier than trying to remove these invasive pests.
The Best Way To Get Started With Cockroach Prevention
While cockroaches are very difficult to remove once they get inside, there are some simple ways you can deter them if you understand what attracts cockroaches in the first place. For one thing, roaches love cluttered areas, so starting with a good, deep cleaning can help make your home less hospitable to them.
Here are some specific cleaning tips to follow to help keep cockroaches out:
- Clean under heavy appliances.
- Make sure to clean out cupboards and shelves and wipe them down.
- Since cockroaches can live off even small crumbs, always clean up any food or drink spills.
- Take out the trash regularly.
- Store food, including any pet food, in airtight containers.
- Wash dirty dishes often.
- Sweep and mop floors.
- Wash drains and sinks.
Keeping Cockroaches From Coming Inside
Addressing underlying problems that attract cockroaches is the first way to keep them out, but you'll also need to take steps to make it harder for cockroaches to get inside. By sealing up any entry points around your home, you can reduce the likelihood of an infestation.
Here are some easy ways to reduce access points:
- Put up weatherstripping around doors and windows.
- Install door sweeps.
- Fix broken screens.
- Caulk up any cracks in walls.
- Make sure doors and windows fit tightly in their frames.
- Patch up holes in the building's foundation.
Get The Best In Cockroach Control
In highly-populated areas such as Brooklyn and throughout the surrounding areas, cockroaches are a common problem as they can spread easily from place to place. Because of the prevalence of cockroaches in the area, taking active steps to prevent infestations and remove current ones is the best way to keep yourself and others safe from these dangerous pests.
As a Brooklyn-based company with a great reputation in handling cockroach issues, Bugs Are Gone Exterminating offers effective, safe cockroach control services. Call us today at 718-735-2847 to find out more or get a free quote.