If there were a poster child for pests, cockroaches would be it. The question is, what does it mean to be a pest? A pest has to be at least one of three things — annoying, dangerous, or destructive. Cockroaches meet all three of these requirements. If you don’t know much about roaches or the problems they cause around Brooklyn homes, we have some valuable information to share with you today.
Types Of Cockroaches Around Brooklyn
New York is home to only a few species of cockroaches. Here in Brooklyn, only two commonly invade homes and businesses — German cockroaches, and American cockroaches. Of the two, German roaches are more common, but American roaches are much bigger. Besides their size difference and a change in color, where American roaches are reddish-brown and German roaches are light brown to tan with two black stripes on the back of their heads, there aren’t many differences between these pests. They both like spending time in areas where their backs and bellies can touch a surface simultaneously, they both enjoy humidity and moisture, and they both enjoy a wide range of foods. Some of the things cockroaches eat you wouldn’t even consider food, like glue, nail clippings, paper, and saliva.
How To Identify A Cockroach Infestation
Cockroaches are nocturnal pests that do their best to avoid humans and other larger animals. Because they hide, identifying a cockroach infestation by the sight alone is not easy. To identify a roach infestation inside your home, we recommend looking for these signs:
- Smear marks of grease.
- Cockroach droppings (looks like ground coffee)
- An unusual musty/greasy odor in the air.
- Casings of shed cockroach skin.
- Cockroach eggs (look like an orange to deep mahogany-colored pills)
There are two ways to approach cockroach control. One way is to do it yourself using resources like this online to guide you. The other option is to hire a professional. We are here to help you find which option works best for you. To start, here is what you would have to do to deter cockroaches from your home on your own.
- Use a caulking gun to seal gaps and cracks in your home’s foundation and spacing around window and door frames.
- Make sure your home’s weatherstripping is seated correctly and damage-free.
- Install door sweeps under exterior doors that do not have them already.
- Repair or replace window/door screens that are ripped or torn.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures around your home.
- Install metal screens over utility piping that leads into your home.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around your property.
- Make sure your gutters are clean and working properly.
- Clean your home thoroughly at least once a week. Do not neglect to clean beneath large appliances and furniture.
- Pick up after your pets.
- Store any leftover foods and beverages inside airtight containers.
One thing we should mention is that DIY cockroach control is never 100% effective. Even if you follow every step perfectly, there will still be a chance cockroaches may get into your home.
The Best Way To Keep Out Roaches
Professional pest control is the only way to ensure cockroaches get and stay out of your Brooklyn home. At Bugs Are Gone Exterminating, we use advanced methods and industry-leading equipment to exclude pests like cockroaches from homes. With our team on your side, cockroaches won’t stand a chance.
If you are looking for a reliable and affordable pest control solution in Brooklyn to help solve your home’s pest problems, we're your best option. Give our team a call today to find a treatment plan that works best for you.