If you live in Brooklyn or in other parts of New York City, squirrels are one of the few wildlife animals you see regularly. Because of how widespread they are, often showing up in city parks and other public spaces, many people don’t even notice them or pay attention to them. Squirrels are also small, furry animals that some people find adorable, and it’s not uncommon for people to encourage their presence by feeding them.
However, while squirrels might seem like a normal part of life in the city, they can become a pest problem, and they are more than just a nuisance. Squirrels can both damage property and cause health problems, so they aren’t to be taken lightly.
While you likely have a good idea of what squirrels look like, and there are many different species in the area, a brief overview of their appearance can help you identify them:
- Squirrels are a type of rodent with slender bodies and bushy tails.
- They also have proportionally large eyes.
- Their hair is short and silky.
- A squirrel can range in color from grey to brown to red.
Why Are Squirrels Considered Dangerous?
Squirrels are especially a problem when they get inside a home or a business as this is where they are likely to cause extensive damage. Finding squirrels around your property and next to buildings can be a warning as they are destructive outdoors as well as indoors. Since squirrels are a kind of rodent, they have the same instinct that rats and mice do to constantly chew and gnaw on things. This means they can destroy piping, electrical wires, drywall, and more. They also commonly ruin gardens and get into bird and pet food. They also can pose serious health risks such as the following:
- They can carry many diseases such as rabies and salmonella.
- Squirrels can also carry parasites and other pests such as ticks which means they can also put you at risk of tick-borne illnesses such as Lyme disease.
- Their fur, urine, and feces can cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
- They may bite in rare cases, and these bites can get infected.
What Are Some Ways To Prevent Squirrels?
Because squirrels can be a two-fold problem, the best way to protect your property from them is to take prevention steps. Keeping them out of your yard in the first place is the best way to avoid the problems that these dangerous pests can cause. Here are some simple prevention tips:
- Place bird feeders somewhere that squirrels can’t get to them
- Store pet food indoors and in airtight containers
- Trim branches so they don’t rest next to the exterior of the building
- Keep doors and windows shut
- Seal up any large cracks or holes in the foundation
- Get help from pest control professionals
- Get Help With Squirrel Problems
While squirrels might seem rather adorable, they can be a bigger problem than you may want to tackle.
If squirrels are becoming a pest issue around your Brooklyn property, don’t put your safety at risk by trying to deal with them on your own. Instead, let the experts at Bugs Are Gone Exterminating handle them. Our technicians can provide ongoing advice and assistance to help you both prevent squirrels and also remove them if necessary. Contact us today to find out more about our services or to request a free quote.